|Assistant Engineer – Technology
Location: Birmingham City Centre
Kier Strategic Highways are looking to recruit an Assistant Engineer to join the Technology team.
Kier Group plc. is a leading construction, property, residential and services group with 88 UK offices and over 22,000 employees. Listed on the London Stock Exchange, we are a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
Kier Highways design roads, bridges and intelligent transport systems (ITS), covering strategic and nationally important roads, as well as local roads serving local communities. Our projects range from major improvements to complete renewals of roads and structures. With specialist teams, we manage complex works from conception through to handover at the end of maintenance periods.
To work as a valued member of the team with Engineers & Senior Engineers supporting all activities, where required relating to the study, development, design, value management and preparation of technology schemes on the Highways England motorway and APTR network.
* Undertake specific tasks supporting projects as directed by the Senior Engineer, to include; planning, development and design for the application of highways technology assets e.g. VMS, MIDAS, CCTV
* Contribute to the planning and design of power and communications infrastructure for highways technology assets.
* Apply appropriate methodologies and standards to produce effective and innovative solutions. Actively contribute and record efficiencies and innovations.
* Carry out investigation, surveys and studies; and provide relevant reports to include potential problems, issues recommendations and solutions.
* Assist in the co-ordination of other relevant discipline surveys, safety audits etc. within the Kier Highways team and wider group where applicable.
* As required liaise with specialist supply chain to coordinate design input / output.
* Apply skills and knowledge in preparing technical design packages, to include CAD drawings, briefs and specifications.
* Identify and prepare all health and safety activities as required under the current CDM regulations under supervision of Senior Engineer / Engineer and in consultation with the Principle Designer utilising appropriate employee risk assessments
* Liaise with the Client, Police, local Highway Authority, statutory undertakers and other bodies where applicable, attending meetings where required.
* Keep the Senior Engineer appraised of activities, providing reports where required.
* Working with senior members of the team, progress continual personal development and training as required.
* Actively promote Health and Safety in the workplace, ensuring awareness of and compliance with general Health and Safety responsibilities as set out in the Health and Safety Management System.
* Perform other duties as may from time to time be reasonably required.
Key Skills and Qualifications:
* Degree or equivalent qualification within a technology bias engineering discipline e.g. communications, electronic/electrical engineering. Relevant experience in highways & traffic technology or similar would be desirable.
* Obtained or working towards professional qualifications e.g. EngTech, MIET, IEng to CEng
* Working / developing knowledge and experience of Highways England standards and procedures.
* A developing understanding of the highways technology asset needs with some experience in technical areas including but not limited to; Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS), SCADA, CCTV, MIDAS, VMS & Signals, Highways Infrastructure - roadside equipment, power supplies and distribution, communications cable networks, NRTS, RCC in-station equipment.
* SMART Motorways and Expressway experience would be advantageous.
* Developing ability to deliver ITS/technology components for highways projects including production of design calculation, drawings, communication drawings, specifications etc.
* Ability to collate and analyse large quantities of relevant data, then demonstrate findings in a report or presentation.
* Able to perform detailed desktop and on-site surveys to gather accurate and relevant information to support the successful development and design of a solution.
* Experience in the use of MS Word, MS Excel and AutoCAD systems is essential.
* An aspiring, enthusiastic, motivated individual with excellent communication skills, an emerging ability in delivering solutions, meeting project and task deadlines, able to work independently, with supervision and part of a team, contribute confidently to projects and tasks.
* A current UK FULL driving license is essential for the role as site visits will be required.
Make the journey. Leave a legacy.
Being part of Kier means living our values of being collaborative, enthusiastic and forward thinking. We all have the potential to shape our world, and it’s through these values that we will leave a lasting legacy. Bring your talent and ambition to Kier and you will be given the scope and opportunity to invest in your own future, to build your expertise and contribute to a rich and diverse culture.
Kier is an inclusive employer.
Let’s shape your world together.