|Senior Engineer – Technology
Kier Strategic Highways are currently recruiting for a Senior Engineer – Technology to join the Area 6&8 Highways Maintenance contract
Kier Group plc. is a leading construction, property, residential and services group with 88 UK offices and over 22,000 employees. Listed on the London Stock Exchange, we are a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
Kier Highways design roads, bridges and intelligent transport systems (ITS), covering strategic and nationally important roads, as well as local roads serving local communities. Our projects range from major improvements to complete renewals of roads and structures. With specialist teams, we manage complex works from conception through to handover at the end of maintenance periods.
To work as a valued member of the team assisting the Schemes / VM Manager, providing technical assistance, support and management (where required) with all activities relating to the study, development, design, value management, preparation and delivery of technology schemes on the Highways England motorway and APTR network.
* Undertake specific projects as required and directed by Schemes / VM Manager, to include; understanding and interpreting the requirements to achieve the project aims and client expectations.
* Identify and apply appropriate methodologies and standards to produce effective and innovative solutions. Actively contribute and record efficiencies and innovations.
* Co-ordinate investigations, surveys and studies; and provide relevant reports to include potential problems, issues recommendations and solutions.
* Co-ordinate other relevant discipline surveys, safety audits etc. within the Kier Highways team and wider group where applicable.
* Liaise with specialist supply chain to coordinate tasks and information required to fulfil inputs / outputs.
* Undertake specific tasks as instructed by Schemes / VM Manager, providing specialist support and applying relevant knowledge for the development of solutions throughout the VM and the Design stages.
* Where applicable, provide specialist support and consultation for other Area 9 disciplines, HE Major Projects and RIS/RIP schemes, to include attendance at meetings or preparing reports as required.
* Applying skills and knowledge to review and prepare technical reports and briefs to include drawings, and specifications.
* Ensure all requirements for health and safety activities are met under the current CDM regulations in consultation where appropriate with Schemes / VM Manager, Project Manager and the Principle Designer utilising appropriate employee risk assessments
* Liaise with the Client, Police, local Highway Authority, statutory undertakers and other bodies where applicable, attending meetings where required.
* Assist with preparing the design delivery programme, identifying resource and budget for the annual Business Plan.
* Assist with project administration, control, monitoring of costs and programme
* Keep Schemes / VM Manager appraised of activities, including providing highlight reports
* Deputise for Schemes / VM Manager when required.
* Assist in the training and development of junior team members where applicable
* Actively promote Health and Safety in the workplace, setting a good example to other employees and ensuring awareness of and compliance with general Health and Safety responsibilities as set out in the Health and Safety Management System.
* Perform other duties as may from time to time be reasonably required.
Key Skills and Qualifications:
* Degree or equivalent qualification within a technology bias engineering discipline e.g. communications, electronic/electrical engineering. Relevant experience in highways & traffic technology or similar would be desirable.
* Some proven project management experience in the design and/or delivery of small to medium highway technology projects would be desirable.
* Obtained or working towards professional qualifications e.g. EngTech, MIET, IEng to CEng
* Working knowledge and experience of Highways England standards and procedures.
* A good understanding of the highways technology asset needs with experience in technical areas including but not limited to; Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS), SCADA, CCTV, MIDAS, VMS & Signals, Highways Infrastructure - roadside equipment, power supplies and distribution, communications cable networks, NRTS, RCC in-station equipment.
* SMART Motorways and Expressway experience would be advantageous.
* A good understanding of ITS/technology components for highways projects including production of design calculation, drawings, communication drawings, specifications etc.
* Experience in the use of MS Word, MS Excel and AutoCAD systems is essential.
* A highly motivated individual with excellent communication skills, with the ability to deliver solutions and successfully manage time to meet project deadlines, able to work independently with minimal supervision and take project ownership for delegated duties as well as demonstrate mentoring skills.
* A current UK FULL driving license is essential for the role as site visits will be required.
Make the journey. Leave a legacy.
Being part of Kier means living our values of being collaborative, enthusiastic and forward thinking. We all have the potential to shape our world, and it’s through these values that we will leave a lasting legacy. Bring your talent and ambition to Kier and you will be given the scope and opportunity to invest in your own future, to build your expertise and contribute to a rich and diverse culture.
Kier is an inclusive employer.
Let’s shape your world together.