|Title: Principal Electrical Engineer
Kier Professional Services are looking to recruit a Principal Electrical Engineer to join the MEICA (Mechanical, Electrical, Instrumentation, Control and Automation) engineering team. The successful post-holder will be responsible for leading and managing EICA engineering design projects.
Kier Professional Services (KPS) are an exclusive in-house resource, providing readily available expert advice to support understanding and resolution of technical issues in temporary and permanent works situations. KPS are able to quickly mobilise resources to support project delivery and consistently deliver a dependable design service for buildability and safety.
We have a large team of experienced professionally qualified engineers, with a wide variety of technical knowledge that spans a variety of sectors.
* The overall Electrical and ICA design, as part of an integrated design solution for industrial and process clients, dealing with process control systems, e.g. water and waste water treatment systems.
* Agree Electrical and ICA design requirements from the client remit, ensuring it is fully understood, questioning and challenging where necessary.
* Organise and lead the day-to-day workload of engineers and technical staff within the design team. Ensuring; delivery, overseeing and contribute to the production of EICA design deliverables, including calculations, drawings, P&I diagrams, reports, control philosophies, electrical schedules, Design Risk Assessments.
* Tendering and bid winning support on Electrical and ICA design including outline design, feasibility studies, production and evaluation of concepts; focussed on buildability, efficiency and innovation; enabling cost estimates to be developed.
* Lead the development of fee proposals. Identification of technical risks and solutions to facilitate scoping, pricing, designing and construction. Manage the financial and commercial aspects of the project with the support of Engineering Manager and Commercial Manager, monitoring progress against, and ensuring the project is delivered to, agreed programme and budget.
* Delivery of innovative alternative solutions and value engineering, enhancing Kier’s competitive position.
* Technical assessment and review of designs; MCC’s, instrumentation, field cabling, etc. Ensuring compliance with the relevant standards, design brief to meet client and Kier requirements.
* Resolution of technical project, installation and design issues, incidents, defects and failures; incident investigation, examining causes of failure, rectification analysis, review, advice and redesign, supporting the SHE Department.
* Site visits, surveys and inspections, reporting and advising on SHE issues; attending internal and external meetings on Kier’s behalf; periodically working as an embedded part of tender and construction teams.
* Ensure compliance with applicable legal requirements and Company policies / procedures, including CDM Regulations, the Kier SHE Management System (SHEMS) and design Quality Management System (QMS).
* Identify and assess the technical opportunities for value engineering and implementation.
* Develop and build positive relationships with the client and/or design/site teams that supports fulfilment of contractual obligations and ensures KPS and Kier meet or exceed customer expectations.
* Be the lead representative at project and progress meetings with clients, as required, from remit development through to lessons learned.
* Seek regular formal and informal feedback from clients during and at the conclusion of the project, noting lessons learned and ensuring continuous improvement within KPS
Key Skills and Qualifications:
* Chartered Engineer; Membership of appropriate Professional Body (IET, IEE, etc.)
* Be fully competent and have extensive experience in electrical engineering.
* Problem solving and decision making in line with level of responsibility
* Detailed knowledge of all relevant Engineering Standards; BS7671
* Experience and detailed knowledge of SHE (Safety, Health & Environment) requirements
* Appreciation of financial constraints, programming and buildability of projects.
* Understand information and data, patterns, trends and relationships in order to make effective decisions
* A proven track record of delivering design projects within budget and programme
* Create and monitor plans, manage and communicate progress and take action to achieve required performance and productivity
* Value and utilise the skills, experiences and expertise of others and understand their perspectives. Enhance the skills, develop and mentor others.
* Understanding and achieving customer satisfaction by maintaining the highest level of standards
* Have the ability to work under pressure
Make the journey. Leave a legacy.
Being part of Kier means living our values of being collaborative, enthusiastic and forward thinking. We all have the potential to shape our world, and it’s through these values that we will leave a lasting legacy. Bring your talent and ambition to Kier and you will be given the scope and opportunity to invest in your own future, to build your expertise and contribute to a rich and diverse culture.
Kier is an inclusive employer.
Let’s shape your world together.